What if you want to earn an executive MBA but can’t travel to the business school every two weeks for the typical weekend session and don’t want to pursue a pure online/distance MBA? Fortunately, a growing number of business schools are offering EMBAs (some are not strictly EMBAs but part-time MBAs) that require only once-a-month sessions (usually over a long weekend) with occasional longer sessions or trips. Here is a list of the most prominent such once-a-month programs, focusing on their format or delivery schedule (including lengthier trips), application deadlines, and cost. Follow the links provided to learn more.
Columbia EMBA-Americas (New York City)
Designed for professionals from across the United States, Canada, and Latin America.
- 5 semesters over 20 months, starting in January 2017.
- Class meets approximately once a month during the core curriculum, in a weeklong format, primarily in New York City.
- During first year, students have one weeklong meeting in Silicon Valley, Toronto, and Latin America.
- Final Application Deadline: Late October.
- Cost: $189,600.
Kellogg EMBA Miami (Miami [Coral Gables])
- Classes start either in January or September and meet once a month, beginning Thursday afternoon and ending midday Sunday in Coral Gables, FL. Two years to complete.
- 3 ‘Intensive weeks’ (including new student orientation and Global Network Week
- Application Deadlines: September Intake Round 1 (May 4), Round 2 (June 22); January Intake Round 1 (September 7), Round 2 (October 19)
- Cost: $187,290
Michigan Ross EMBA (Los Angeles [Century City])
- Classes meet once a month, Friday through Saturday, for 21 months. Also, extended, immersive residencies at the beginning of each program year with students from both Ann Arbor and Los Angeles
- Hybrid on-site and distance learning format; 5 terms altogether; program begins in August
- Application Deadlines: Early (~Feb. 1), Regular (April 1), Final (May 15)
- Cost: $149,200.
Virginia Darden EMBA (Charlottesville VA & Washington DC)
- 21 months of monthly in-person residencies on weekends beginning in August: Thursday-Saturday for Charlottesville cohort; Friday-Sunday for Washington, D.C. cohort.
- At the beginning and the end of the program, all EMBA students come together in Charlottesville for an intensive week-long leadership residency.
- EMBA students must also participate in at least one weeklong Global Residency in Brazil, China, Europe or India.
- Application Deadlines: Nov. 2, Jan. 2, Feb. 2, Mar. 2, Apr. 2, May 2, June 2, July 2.
- Cost: $139,300.
Global OneMBA (Virginia & North Carolina)
- A 21-month program beginning in September, with classes meeting approximately one weekend (Friday-Sunday) per month in either Leesburg, VA, or Chapel Hill, NC.
- 4 weeklong residencies in each region – Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America
- Partnership involving University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Xiamen University, Rotterdam School of Management (Erasmus), Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico), and Fundação Getulio Vargas.
- Application Deadlines: December 7, February 1, April 4, and June 6
- Cost: $112,270.
TRIUM EMBA (NYU Stern, HEC Paris, London School of Economics)
- 17-month-long program starting in September, and divided into 6 modules, each module separated by about 4 months and last between 5 and 12 days in a different location (but twice in Paris) such as London, New York, Shanghai or Chennai, India.
- Application Deadlines: Rolling monthly deadlines (15th).
- Cost: $169,500.
Johns Hopkins U. Carey EMBA (Baltimore)
- 20-month-long program starting in September and consisting of eight 7-day-long residencies in Baltimore and one 8-day-long international residency. Each residency takes place about every 2 months.
- Application Deadlines: Priority – January 11, Standard – March 29, Final – May 2
- Cost: $118,900.
Washington U. (Olin) EMBA (St. Louis)
- 20-month program that meets monthly for 3 to 4 days (Thursday thru Saturday or Sunday) and begins in either April or September.
- Plus 4 required residencies: 2 in St. Louis (1 week each), Washington DC (4 days), and Shanghai and Beijing (4 days each).
- Application Deadlines: Rolling.
- Cost: $119,500.
U. Washington Foster (Seattle)
- 21 months long starting in September with an option to meet weekly or monthly. The monthly North America program meets Wednesday through Saturday once a month.
- Plus required 8-10-day international immersion in early September of 2nd year in a location such as Brazil, the Czech Republic/Germany, Vietname, UAE, India, China, Peru, Korea, Japan, etc.
- Application Deadlines: March 1, April 1.
- Cost: $100,500
Notre Dame Mendoza EMBA (South Bend, IN)
- 22-month program whose monthly option meets once a month, Thursday through Saturday, in South Bend with two 5-7-day immersions, a one-week orientation, and some one-week electives.
- Application Deadline: April 1 (priority), June 1.
- Cost: $129,000.
Babson Blended Learning MBA (Wellesley MA & San Francisco)
- 21-month-long online/distance learning-based part-time MBA starting in March or October with face-to-face sessions at Babson’s Wellesley or Babson’s San Francisco location occurring approximately every seven weeks, Friday-Saturday.
- Application Deadline: Nov. 1 for March intake; May 1 for Oct. intake.
- Cost: $85,000.
Cambridge Judge EMBA (Cambridge, UK)
- 20-month degree programme delivered over 16 weekends (Fri-Sat) and four week-long sessions
- Application Deadlines: Nov. 16, Jan. 11, Mar. 1, Apr. 25, June 6.
- Cost: $69,300 (2016-17).